Wal-Mart: A College Student’s Best Friend
Listening To: System of a Down – Prison Song
Today I went to Ye Olde Wal-Mart and bought some stuff for my dorm. For the amount of stuff I got, I think I did pretty well. This post has some handy tips so it is posted as “personal” as well as “article”.
- collapsible laundry bag. I recommend the non-transparent kind. No need for guests to see your dirty panties in a bag. I chose a collapsible bag so it lays flat when it’s empty and can be stored under a bed or in a drawer
- cutlery. I also suggest buying cutlery in small bundles or in separate pieces. I got 4 spoons, 4 large spoons, 4 forks and 4 knives for around $5. You pay a lot more if you buy the cutlery sets. Also, avoid the cutlery with plastic handles because they can break off.
- paring knife. Um, duh? Why wouldn’t I need one? I like my apples peeled, thank you very much.
- flipper. This will probably only be used for my specialty, The Jill Omelet. But still, it’ll likely be used a lot.
- cheese grater. The Jill Omelet requires grated cheese. Naturally.
- frying pan. I got one that I’m actually going to use. It’s big enough for Alphagetti and small enough for an omelet. No need for a seven hundred piece cooking set that I’m not going to touch.
- garbage can. I specifically got a small one to save room. Also, I looked for a white one that I could paint to match my color scheme (which is black, red and white, for the record). If you’re going to get creative and personalize your garbage can too, I suggest tole paints from a dollar store. At my local dollar store, I was able to get each bottle of paint and the paint brush for just $1 each.
I feel like I’m forgetting something but if I remember it, I’ll be sure to add it. Anyway, I think it’s a good start. I have a lot more to get but I’m pretty proud of what I accomplished today.
And while I’m here, I’d like to thank Sam for his words of encouragement.