One month down, many more to go.
Listening To: The Jam – That’s Entertainment
It’s been one hell of a month.
On this day, exactly one month ago, I started Journalism classes at College X. One month + 2 days ago I moved into Residence X and met my roommate, Amanda C. I just call her “Roomie” though.
I know I haven’t been updating regularly and it’s not because I haven’t wanted to. It’s just… I’ve never been so effing busy in my entire life. I’m hanging out with new people, getting very comfortable in this new home of mine, City X.
In convenient point form, I’ll outline some of the events of my first month in college.
- I’ve gone from getting every one of my Journalism assignments back with an order to redo them to getting comments like “Good!” and “Great story Jillian!”
- I’ve watched football with a group of new friends.
- I’ve become almost interested in politics.
- I learned how to play pool, albeit not well.
- I was almost hit by a truck.
- Last Friday, I drank far more than I should have and did a number of embarrassing things.
- I then threw up several times in a bathroom that wasn’t my own.
- I’ve been involved in a conflict between friends.
- I’ve fallen for a guy.
- I’ve gotten screwed over by a guy.
- I’ve become friends with a guy again.
- I had my first article published in a magazine (“20 Rules For The Convenience Store” was originally written for this blog. It appears in this month’s issue of Convenience Store Decisions.).
- I’ve scheduled my first face-to-face interview for this Wednesday. I’ll be interviewing a local artist.
- I’ve attended my first political rally, taken down a few of their quotes and snapped some photos. It was such a rush!
- I haven’t felt homesick, but I did have a little bout of depression for a few days. I’m feeling much better about everything now though.
- [Added on October 8th] I’ve gotten buzzed on a Tuesday night and spent the next several hours walking around City X with a couple friends.
Since my dorm room decor is almost finished, I plan to post some photos pretty soon. I might put together a panaorama image if I can find the time. My mom and grandmother are heading to City X to spend time with me and see this place that I love so much.
Despite my bout of depression earlier this week, I am feeling really good about things. I learn something new every day and learn something new about myself every hour. If my college career has taught me anything so far, it’s that learning is key.