I made a crucial decision last weekend… Well, I guess it was after last weekend. I have to stop drinking, at least for a while.
Photo by tysk_pojken.
Fact: drinking every weekend (or, in my case, sometimes twice in a weekend) quickly drains your bank account, which is tiny to begin with.
Fact: groceries and an upcoming trip to New York City should be a priority, not a few hours of mixing vodka and Raspberry Sourpuss.
Fact: drinking that much can do serious damage to one’s health.
Fact: drinking every weekend at college leads to death 78% of the time.
OK. So, that last one wasn’t exactly a (documented) fact. But still, you get my point. Anyway, I’ve been 100% sober for 10 days and I plan to be sober for a long time. I can’t afford it and I just don’t feel like it.
So, I needed another way to fill my weekend. So, I went to Michael’s, used my gift card and bought some scrapbook supplies. Wonderful, wonderful scrapbook supplies. This weekend, I went to see a singer at a bar (but I didn’t drink, believe it or not) and interviewed her for an assignment afterward. On Sunday, I scrapbooked and it was awesome. And that’s OK, I’m not embarrassed. I enjoy it.
Anyway. The point of this article is this: Ways To Have Fun In College Without Opening A Bottle Of Anything That Isn’t Coke, Pepsi, orange juice or Snapple.
- Get rid of any liquor you might have hidden in your dorm, apartment, etc. This includes anything with a sketchy label or anything you might mix liquor with… You may keep cranberry, orange and lime juice.
- Explain to your drinking buddies that you’re taking a break and taking it easy for a while. Explain that you’re running out of money. Maybe they’re feeling the pinch too and need a sober pal.
- Hang out with your sober friends who will support one another, especially if you’re hanging out with some fun-loving pals who are all drunk and giggly.
- Do fun stuff on Saturday/Sunday mornings and then brag about it to your hungover friends.
- Get stuff done! I’ve only been sober for a week and already I’ve noticed a difference in my weekends. I seem to have a lot more free time because I’m not spending half of my Saturday in bed, holding a pillow over my face and wanting to die.
- Hobbies! Yes, once upon a time, you had a hobby that didn’t involve shot glasses or beer pong. For me, scrapbooking is that hobby. I love it!
- Don’t forget about positive reinforcement. For every week you stay sober, make sure to reward yourself for your determination. Get dessert at your favorite restaurant. Order a pizza. Go see a movie with friends… Just make sure the positive reinforcement doesn’t become more expensive than drinking.
If you’re looking for more articles on this subject, they’ve got some great ones at wikiHow: How To Avoid Alcohol While In College, How To Stop Binge Drinking and How To Turn Down a Drink are just a few.
Need more proof that getting drunk isn’t so hot? Check this out (at your own discretion!).